HomeNewsNews[Agency]FootballSouth America

Conmebol commits to Copa Sudamericana prize money hike, despite sponsor blow

The South American Football Confederation (Conmebol) has said it will take “all appropriate measures” after the Global Sports agency opted to terminate its partnership for the Copa Sudamericana club competition.

Global Sports, which acts as a major sponsor of the second-tier competition and has brokered deals for it, had signed a three-year agreement for the Sudamericana covering the 2015, 2016 and 2017 tournaments.

However, Conmebol confirmed that the deal has ended. The continental governing body’s president, Alejandro Dominguez, said: “We regret that Global Sports has terminated the contract without justifiable cause just days before the start of the next edition of the Copa Sudamericana, causing enormous damage to the participating clubs. The South American Football Confederation shall take all appropriate measures to enforce their rights before the relevant authorities.”

Despite the news, Conmebol has pledged that the 2016 Copa Sudamericana, which is due to commence on August 3, will see clubs receive an average rise in prize money of 72 per cent over last year’s edition.

In total, Conmebol will distribute $31.8m (€28.8m) in prize money, compared to $18.49m offered in 2015. The 2016 champion will receive $2m alone, up from $1.2m last year.

Colombia’s Independiente Santa Fe defeated Argentina’s Huracan in last season’s final, gaining $2.385m in total from its Copa Sudamericana campaign.